CITY OF WEST HOLLYWOOD
WOMEN’S ADVISORY BOARD
THURSDAY, August 22, 2019 – 7:00 P.M.
Location: City Hall 1st Floor Community Conference Room
8300 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Assistive Listening Devices (ALD) will be available for check out at the meeting. If you require special assistance to participate in this meeting (e.g., a signer for the hearing impaired), you must call or submit your request in writing to the Economic Development Department at (323) 848-6413 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. The City TDD line for the hearing impaired is (323) 848-6496.
Special meeting related accommodations (e.g. transportation) may be provided upon written request to the Office of the City Clerk at least 48 hours in advance. For information on public transportation, call 323. GO. METRO (323) 466-3876) or go to www.metro.net.
Written materials distributed to the Women’s Advisory Board within 72 hours of the Women’s Advisory Board meeting are available for public inspection immediately upon distribution at the West Hollywood Department of Economic Development at 8300 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood, California, during normal business hours. They will also be available for inspection during the Women’s Advisory Board meeting at the staff liaison table.
1. CALL TO ORDER:
2. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
Meeting agenda for August 22, 2019
3. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:
July 25, 2019 Minutes
5. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Upcoming Board Meeting Schedule:
The Board will discuss scheduling meeting dates for their annual televised meeting, annual retreat meeting and scheduling adjustments for the holiday season.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss. Schedule meeting dates.
B. National Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
Report from staff regarding the City’s activities for National Breast Cancer Awareaness Month in October.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss
6. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
A. City of West Hollywood Women’s Leadership Conference
Update from staff regarding feedback from the Board about the recent City of West Hollywood Women’s Leadership Conference and plans moving forward.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss.
B. Women’s Equality Day
Commemoration – Sunday, August 25, 2019
The Board will discuss planning ideas for the City’s annual commemoration of Women’s Equality Day, the anniversary of women winning the right to vote in the United States.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss.
C. Women’s Safety Joint Subcommittee Report
The Board will receive recommendations from the Women’s Safety Joint Subcommittee regarding various safety issues affecting women.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss. Take Action as Appropriate
D. Women’s Advisory Board Work Plan Implementation
Ongoing review and monitoring regarding the
implementation of the Board’s current work plan.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss.
7. LEGISLATION & ADVOCACY:
The Board will review and discuss updates regarding state and federal legislation affecting women. The Board’s priority issues include: Equal Rights, Violence Against Women/Women’s Safety, Sexual Harassment and Women’s Health.
A. State Legislation & Policy
1. Review of new California legislation.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss. Designate Boardmembers to Track Various Bills of Interest.
B. Federal Legislation & Policy
The Board will discuss federal legislation and receive updates about the status of federal legislation of interest and policy that the Board is tracking.
1. Proposed Title IX Changes regarding sexual assault.
2. Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, VAWA
3. The EMPOWER Act, regarding steps to reduce sexual harassment workplaces.
4. The Equality Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing, public accommodations, public education, federal funding, credit, and the jury system.
5. The Paycheck Fairness Act would add procedural protections to the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and the Fair Labor Standards Act as part of an effort to address the gender pay gap in the United States.
6. Women’s Health Protection Act protects constitutional right to abortion.
7. Title X Regulation – enforcement of regulations that prohibit Title X grant recipients from counseling patients about abortion.
8. Proposed Rule to Amend Section 1557 of the Health Care Rights Law, a part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) that, as currently written, offers protections to transgender people in healthcare settings. The new interpretation would essentially allow healthcare providers to discriminate based on gender identity.
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss. Consider Making Recommendations as Appropriate and Additional Advocacy Opportunities. Designate Boardmembers to Track Bills.
C. Legislative and Advocacy Updates on WAB Prioritized Issues:
The Board will receive updates about additional legislation and advocacy issues that have been prioritized by the Board and discuss potential actions and recommendations.
1. Ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment –
· Updates from the Equal Means Equal and #ERAnow Campaigns
2. Human Trafficking - Awareness and Prevention
3. Women’s Health – Breastfeeding Friendly City and Free Tampon Program
4. Additional Items
RECOMMENDATION: Review and Discuss. Consider Making Recommendations as Appropriate.
8. Board and Commission Liaison Reports:
The Board will hear brief reports from board members who serve as liaisons to other city Boards, Commissions, and other recognized bodies. The Board will designate new liaisons as needed.
1. LA-County Commission on Women & Girls & Women & Girls Initiative 100 year Anniversary Celebration of 19th Amendment Committee.
2. Association of California Women’s Commissions
3. City of West Hollywood Census 2020 Complete Count Committee (CCC)
RECOMMENDATION: Receive and File. Designate New Liaisons as Needed.
9. Monthly Reports to City Council:
The Board will designate a member to report back to the City Council each month.
RECOMMENDATION: Designate a Member to Report Back to the City Council.
10. SUBCOMMITTEE AND LIAISON REPORTS:
The Board will hear feedback and updates regarding the following Board initiated and or/co-sponsored activities
1. Women In Film Speaker Series – a monthly speaker series supporting the advancement of women in film and media, co-sponsored by the Women’s Advisory Board, held the 4th Monday of the month.
2. WAB Club: Women And Books – a monthly book club sponsored by the Women’s Advisory Board and West Hollywood Library held the 1st Tuesday of the month.
3. Community Screening of Knock Down the House – a film screening of Netflix's new documentary organized by the National Women's Political Caucus/LA Westside Chapter held July 29, 2019.
4. Domestic Violence Awareness and Advocacy – Family Court System
Domenstic Violence Prevention Month activity and regarding domestic violence and victimization within the Family Court System.
5. Human Trafficking Awareness Community Screening – updates regarding plans for a City of West Hollywood Human Rights Speaker Series program featuring the film Nona.
6. Community Screening of the Documentary Film Birthright: A War Story
City of West Hollywood Human Rights Speaker Series film screening about threats to reproductive rights, endorsed by the Board on September 10, 2019.
7. National Council of Jewish Women Advoacy Training Project (ATP, a series of advocacy workshops held September 2019 – April 2020.
RECOMMENDATION: Receive and File. Take Action as Needed.
11. PUBLIC COMMENT:
This time has been set aside for members of the public to address the Women’s Advisory Board on any item of interest within the subject-matter jurisdiction of the Advisory Board that could not be heard under Item III. at the beginning of the meeting.
12. ITEMS FROM THE BOARD:
13. ITEMS FROM STAFF:
Staff will be given an opportunity to deliver brief remarks.
1. Annual Commission and Board Congress
The Women’s Advisory Board will adjourn to their next regular meeting on Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 7 pm in the West Hollywood City Hall Community Conference Room, located at 8300 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069.